Oh, how I’ve missed my blog! From holiday shopping and celebrations to trips to Iowa & New York & back again, this last month has been a whirlwind of activity with few opportunities to sit down and reflect … at least in writing. I’ve continued to write my daily six words, just had limited internet access to post them. But I’m back to it now, and caught up … I think!
It is good to be me!
In the last month …
- Hosted a pre-Christmas brunch for my family of 20!
- Rented a van and drove (15 hours) to my in-laws in Des Moines for the holidays, where I …
- Spent Christmas in bed (and the bathroom puking), literally never saw the light of day or even my children! (“I’m dreaming of a white … porcelain toilet”)
- Celebrated my father-in-law’s 80th birthday!
- Got an iPhone and have become EVEN MORE connected. Well, once I got out of Iowa. (So much power in one little thing!)
- Drove back home to Austin which took two days because one of the boys started puking in the van somewhere along the Kansas turnpike & consequently
- Spent a lovely night in a Hampton Inn in Gainesville, TX (By the way, they allow dogs there which was a bonus!)
- Had 36 hours at the house for laundry & repacking before Brian & I flew to New York at 6:15 a.m. on the morning of New Year’s Eve.
- Celebrated New Year’s Eve at the Gotham City Bar & Grill in New York City with friends, gourmet 6 course meal, brass band & champagne. Was up for 22 straight hours, and then
- Drove out to Lake Placid (4½ hours) ~ well, actually I rode, didn’t drive ~ on New Year’s Day to spend 3 days in a winter paradise, where we
- Stayed at our friends’ cabin, once home to Louis Untermeyer (who regularly hung out there with the poet Robert Frost)
- Made new OLD friends & asked lots of INTERESTING questions
- Skied Whiteface Mountain, one of the High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains, the ski area with the highest vertical drop in the eastern United States, and venue of the 1980 Olympic alpine skiing competition.
- Watched 13 year-olds practice jumping off the 90 meter Olympic jump (You know, that old “Thrill of Victory, Agony of Defeat” footage?)
- Drove back to New York City, then flew home to Austin, where we
- Started back to school and work less than 24 hours later!
As for NEXT week … I’m off to San Francisco where I will be OFFICIALLY blogging for Yoga Journal at their California conference!!! I will be posting at least three times a day, complete WITH photos. So, despite a very long, wordless spell, I’m about to shift into high gear.
Along with first-hand reports from the conference, I’m hoping to share insights from Desiree Rumbaugh, who has generously agreed to “an interview” if we can get our timing right. (Can you say, paparazzi?!) I’m thinking we’re looking at some Pulitzer opportunities here, folks!
So, if you’ve gotten OUT of the habit of checking this blog … I’m BAAACCCKKKK! Be sure to add this to your daily “Things to Read” list! After all, we know … I LOVE an audience. Happy New Year, my friends, life is indeed GOOD!